Parasocial relationship viewed from loneliness in new students
Keywords:Loneliness, New Students, Parasocial Relationship
This research is motivated by the phenomenon of the large number of new students who idolize celebrities excessively. This study aims to empirically test whether parasocial relationships in new students are determined by loneliness. This study aimed to test the proposed research hypothesis that there is a positive relationship between loneliness and parasocial relationships in new students. The sampling technique used is total sampling. The data collection method in this study used non-cognitive tests. The scale used to collect data is the parasocial relationship behavior scale and the loneliness attitude scale. The loneliness scale is compiled based on the Likert scale model. The parasocial relationship scale is compiled using the summated rating model. From the results of the validity test, these two scales are valid in content. Both scales measure all aspects/components to be measured, with a reliability coefficient on the parasocial relationship scale of 0.945 and a reliability coefficient on the loneliness scale of 0.946. The results of the hypothesis test showed that the correlation coefficient (rxy) was 0.328 with a significance value of p = 0.005 (p ≤ 0.05). From these results, it can be concluded that the hypothesis is accepted. There is a significant positive relationship between loneliness and parasocial relationships in new students. The coefficient of determinant of loneliness variable on parasocial relationship variable is 10.7%, the remaining 89.3% is influenced by other factors not examined in this study.